Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Iranian President's NY Visit Sparks Protests
The Wolf Star
Administrator

Group: Administrators

by Claudia Parsons Reuters September 24, 2007

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad met leaders of an anti-Zionist Jewish group on Monday at the start of a visit to New York for the U.N. General Assembly meeting that has sparked protests and anger.

Mainstream Jewish groups were among those who condemned an invitation by Columbia University for the Iranian leader to speak later on Monday at its World Leaders Forum.

"The Evil Has Landed" was the front-page headline in New York's Daily News newspaper, reporting outrage among U.S. critics who say a Holocaust denier blamed by Washington for supporting terrorism should not be given a platform at one of America's most respected universities.

The United States accuses Iran of seeking to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of its civil nuclear program, and of fueling violence in Iraq by providing weapons to anti-American militants. Iran denies the charges.

The Iranian leader, who last year railed at the United States in his speech to the General Assembly, on Monday morning met leaders of a movement called Neturei Karta International, which describes itself as an Orthodox Jewish group opposed to the existence of the State of Israel.

New York police said last week that Ahmadinejad, who has called for Israel to be wiped off the map, had been denied a request to visit the World Trade Center site of the September 11 attacks.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Monday that it would have been a travesty for Ahmadinejad to visit the site, known as Ground Zero.

"I think it would have been a travesty," Rice told cable TV channel CNBC in an interview. "This is somebody who is the president of a country that is probably the greatest sponsor -- state sponsor -- of terrorism."
The newspaper reported outrage among U.S. critics who say a Holocaust denier accused by Washington of supporting terrorism should not be given a platform at one of America's most respected universities.

Washington also accuses Iran of fueling violence in Iraq by providing weapons to anti-American militants. Iran denies the charges.

MEETING WITH ORTHODOX JEWISH GROUP

Ahmadinejad on Monday morning met leaders of a movement called Neturei Karta International, which describes itself as an Orthodox Jewish group opposed to the existence of the State of Israel.

New York police said last week that Ahmadinejad, who has called for Israel to be wiped off the map, was denied a request to visit the World Trade Center site of the September 11 attacks.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Monday that it would have been a travesty for Ahmadinejad to visit the site, known as Ground Zero.

"I think it would have been a travesty," Rice told cable TV channel CNBC in an interview. "This is somebody who is the president of a country that is probably the greatest sponsor -- state sponsor -- of terrorism."

She said she did not see a way to reach Ahmadinejad but she hoped more moderate elements in Iranian politics would see the futility of Iran's remaining so isolated in the world.

"(The) regime needs to change its behavior," she said.

Ahmadinejad said in a CBS television interview broadcast on Sunday that Iran did not need nuclear weapons and his country was not heading for war with the United States.

Asked whether Iran and the United States were heading toward conflict over Tehran's nuclear ambitions, he said: "It's wrong to think that Iran and the U.S. are walking toward war. Who says so? Why should we go to war? There is no war in the offing."

(Additional reporting by Stuart Grudgings and Mohammad Zargham in Washington, and Arshad Mohammed and Michael Erman in New York)

source: Reuters

Earthhope Action Network

Daniel Shays

me
09-24-2007 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Macai
Unregistered

RE: Iranian President's NY Visit Sparks Protests

Iran is involved with terrorists in the Middle East. It's involvement is the supplying of arms to Shiite militants in Iraq. [1]

Ahmadinejad should have been arrested for this terrorist involvement the minute he walked onto American soil. If you disagree with me, you indirectly advocate Islamic extremism.

09-25-2007 12:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonEagle

Group: Registered

Macai Wrote:
Iran is involved with terrorists in the Middle East. It's involvement is the supplying of arms to Shiite militants in Iraq. [1]

Ahmadinejad should have been arrested for this terrorist involvement the minute he walked onto American soil. If you disagree with me, you indirectly advocate Islamic extremism.

So then, I would assume that you would agree that any country Bush set foot in he should not only be arrested as a terrorist but be tried for crimes against humanity?

Over the past few hundred years, how many country's has Iran invaded?

I may not agree with their lifestyle but we make them look like saints.

As far as them supplying terrorists, as far as I know, we have supplied both sides with weapons.

There is only one terroist nation on this planet right now. We are it.

Crimson

10-14-2007 02:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Wolf Star
Administrator

CrimsonEagle Wrote:

Macai Wrote:

So then, I would assume that you would agree that any country Bush set foot in he should not only be arrested as a terrorist but be tried for crimes against humanity?

As far as them supplying terrorists, as far as I know, we have supplied both sides with weapons.

Crimson

ter·ror·ist
a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism. terrorist That makes the US and Iran terrorist nations. China is a terrorist nation, look at what it did to Tibet and continues to do it's own people. Uzbekistan is a horror. The former Soviet Union was a bastard often to it's own people and was imperialist with other countries, N. Korea and Viet Nam...and on and on and on.

By definition, Iran is a terrorist nation. It has threatened to "wipe Israel off the map" and it has not only threatened us, but has many insurgents in Iraq shooting at our soldiers. I personally, on the other hand, don't think we should be in Iraq, to begin with. But, then again, also, is the fact that Iran doesn't give a rat's ass for Iraq -- they don't even get along. That leads me to believe that Iran is going out of it's way to provoke us. I would like to add that I do NOT want us to attack Iran. I also want us out of Iraq.

Iran is no innocent baby. It has always hated the Jews. (Most of the Middle East were Nazi sympathizers in Hitler's day and now they are into holocaust denial. To me, racism sucks no matter who it's coming from. It all sucks.

Still I don't believe Ahmadinejad should have been arrested when he stepped onto US soil, either. Probably would have been a bad move.

Earthhope Action Network

Daniel Shays

me
10-14-2007 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonEagle

Quote:
By definition, Iran is a terrorist nation. It has threatened to "wipe Israel off the map" and it has not only threatened us, but has many insurgents in Iraq shooting at our soldiers. I personally, on the other hand, don't think we should be in Iraq, to begin with. But, then again, also, is the fact that Iran doesn't give a rat's ass for Iraq -- they don't even get along. That leads me to believe that Iran is going out of it's way to provoke us. I would like to add that I do NOT want us to attack Iran. I also want us out of Iraq.

Iran is no innocent baby. It has always hated the Jews. (Most of the Middle East were Nazi sympathizers in Hitler's day and now they are into holocaust denial. To me, racism sucks no matter who it's coming from. It all sucks.

Iran never threatened to wipe Israel off the map. This is a mistranslation of what was said and accepted by those who would like war with Iran.

Does Iran also hate the Jews who live within it?

We cannot mistake the Jewish faith with the Zionist run government of Israel.

Iran has threatened us? We have not only threatened them, we have in the past, as we do with many country's, meddled in their affairs.

If I had any inclination that a country was going to invade/bomb I would try to influence the outcome also. Remember the Axis of Evil speech?

Also, this entire war is based on lies. They have lied to us from the beginning, and we know for a fact that this administration is itching to go into Iran, why would you believe them now? What have they done that makes you think this government is being honest in any way?

Even if Iran is involved in the insurgency, (along with Saudi Arabia I might add), all we have to do is get our soldiers back to our own country and they will no longer be shot at.

Also, the last government report I read stated that the percentage of foreign insurgents in Iraq was a very small percentage. A great majority of the insurgents are the Iraq people.

Lets call these insurgents what they are. They are freedom fighters who are fighting against an invading force. Would you not do the same if someone invaded this country?

If this country were invaded by a superior force, would you just bow down and die, or would you be willing to do whatever it takes to prevent the acceptance of this invading force?

Lets say that China, who IS a threat to us, though not a military threat decided to invade this country. Just what exactly would you be willing to do to prevent China from getting a solid foothold in this country?

It is the United States and Israel that are doing the provoking and make no mistake, we are going to lose unless we change course very quickly. This may be our last election, (if one is even held), if we do not get someone in who is not a pawn of the system.

As a side note, how many country's has Iran invaded in the past few hundred years?

I don't really like the way they live BUT I also don't buy the propaganda which states that they are evil.

A country proves itself by its actions. In the scheme of things, who is evil, the U.S. who has invaded many countries, manipulated many governments, supported many brutal dictators, among many other detestable actions, or Iran who's biggest sin is that they will not bow to U.S. dominance?

You may bring up that Iran is brutal to its own people. You may be right, but if so, is it not up to it's own people to change things or should the US be the police of the world jumping into internal affairs of other country's?

[/quote]

10-14-2007 06:52 PM
The Wolf Star
Administrator

Hey, Crimson,

I already said some of this stuff myself...slow down. Please read what I write more carefully. A lot of people on other forums react to what I say, by not reading all of what I say.

It has threatened to "wipe Israel off the map" and it has not only threatened us, but has many insurgents in Iraq shooting at our soldiers. I personally, on the other hand, don't think we should be in Iraq, to begin with.

But, then again, also, is the fact that Iran doesn't give a rat's ass for Iraq -- they don't even get along. That leads me to believe that Iran is going out of it's way to provoke us.

I would like to add that I do NOT want us to attack Iran. I also want us out of Iraq.

I do not get my info or draw my conclusions on what Dubya says ever nor do I read only msm and draw conclusions on that. I like to read the facts and then draw my own conclusions always. I already stated, also that the US, in the last 150 years, has become a giant imperialist creep and I hate that.

As far as Ahmedinejad's statement about wiping Israel off the map being mis-interpreted...how many ways can one interpret something like that?

Earthhope Action Network

Daniel Shays

me
10-14-2007 07:10 PM
The Wolf Star
Administrator

Quote:

I would agree with that. I wish we, Americans, would arrest him ourselves for high treason.

Earthhope Action Network

Daniel Shays

me
10-14-2007 07:19 PM
Macai
Unregistered

CrimsonEagle Wrote:

Something tells me that if he wasn't protected by our military at the time he does, he would be arrested. So, yeah, I'm not a Bushite, I'm just not anti-war either.

CrimsonEagle Wrote:

How many countries has Iran had the opportunity to invade, and win? Not many. How many countries has the United States had the opportunity to invade, and win? Quite a few.

We're far less aggressive than Iran; we're just more powerful.

CrimsonEagle Wrote:

You're right, we did.

CrimsonEagle Wrote:

What about the now defunct Soviet Union, who had quite a few proxy wars with the U.S., and China, which has invaded Tibet? Don't get into the propaganda, man.

10-14-2007 08:19 PM
Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonEagle

Wink  RE: Iranian President's NY Visit Sparks Protests

The Wolf Star Wrote:

Quote:

I would agree with that. I wish we, Americans, would arrest him ourselves for high treason.

On this I don't think we will ever have a difference of opinion.

Btw, and just so you know.....

Anything that I write is very rarely meant to enflame. There are times that it is easy to take what someone else wrote out of context and I know that I find myself apologizing from time to time, as I will do now.

I did read your reply and I did understand it, or at least I thought I did.

First, to get this out of the way,

Quote:
Now we face a similar propaganda distortion of remarks by Iran's president. Ask anyone in Washington, London or Tel Aviv if they can cite any phrase uttered by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the chances are high they will say he wants Israel "wiped off the map".

Again it is four short words, though the distortion is worse than in the Khrushchev case. The remarks are not out of context. They are wrong, pure and simple. Ahmadinejad never said them. Farsi speakers have pointed out that he was mistranslated. The Iranian president was quoting an ancient statement by Iran's first Islamist leader, the late Ayatollah Khomeini, that "this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time" just as the Shah's regime in Iran had vanished.

He was not making a military threat. He was calling for an end to the occupation of Jerusalem at some point in the future. The "page of time" phrase suggests he did not expect it to happen soon. There was no implication that either Khomeini, when he first made the statement, or Ahmadinejad, in repeating it, felt it was imminent, or that Iran would be involved in bringing it about.

But the propaganda damage was done, and western hawks bracket the Iranian president with Hitler as though he wants to exterminate Jews. At the recent annual convention of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, a powerful lobby group, huge screens switched between pictures of Ahmadinejad making the false "wiping off the map" statement and a ranting Hitler.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...42,00.html

Now, there are many other sources if this one is not up to par but I'm not sure what you would find to be legit. It will be up to you from this point on. I have read enough to be convinced.

I also don't think that Iran hates the Jews.

[/quote]It is one of the many paradoxes of the Islamic Republic of Iran that this most virulent anti-Israeli country supports by far the largest Jewish population of any Muslim country. [/quote]

Life of Jew's living in Iran

They don't hate the Jews, they hate the Zionist Israeli government, and judging from the actions of this government, I can understand why.

Also, going from memory here....as far as I can remember, the only "threats" against the U.S. have been threats of retaliation against any aggressive move on our part.

I know that you don't want our troops to be in Iraq, and I realize that you do not want to attack Iran, BUT, if we continue to think that Iran IS threatening us, hates the Jews, and has threatened to wipe Israel off the map, and state these disputable beliefs as facts, we will do nothing other than re enforce the warmongers beliefs that this insanity must continue.

I agree with you. Racism does suck. It is a thorn in the side of advancement and there are times that I wish everyone on this planet would be struck blind, though then I'm sure we would find something else to hate each other over.
I can see it now....
"You have a squeaky voice....I must kill you!!!"

Its stupid.

Anyway,
I'm not here to argue with youSmile I'm just here to chat it up a bit.
In all honesty, though I haven't given up yet, I'm afraid that the event that have been set into motion is going to be an avalanche of death and destruction that carries much of humanity with it.

Those who survive will have to pick up the pieces of this shattered society and once again rebuild.

I wonder if the next Age will have more intelligence than this one. Will they also allow the criminally insane to rule the world or will they see through the lies and manipulation?

I don't know. We wont be here to see it.

Anyway, just always remember when you read what I write, I'm not here to start a fight....just looking for discussion. Many of the conclusions that I have come to at this point may be wrong.....if they are blatantly wrong and it can be proven, I hope I have the wisdom to recognize my error. Being that I am human, you may have to slap me up side the head a couple times.

Crimson.

10-14-2007 08:34 PM
The Wolf Star
Administrator

Hey, Crimson,
Thanks for your long and well thought out reply. I never thought you were flaming me or anything like that. I just thought you sounded worked up and emotional, (like I often get), and I wanted you to read all of what I wrote. And thanks for the apology, but you didn't say anything wrong.

Also, thanks for the explanation of Ahmandinejad's comment. That is quite a bit different and now I can see how the Bush Boys and the media has run with it. It is hateful and fear-mongering propaganda.

One thing, though, Ahmandinejad does hate the Jews. Please check this out, from The Weekly Standard

"On December 12, 2006, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad personally brought to a close the infamous Holocaust deniers' conference in Tehran. A strange parade of speakers had passed across the podium: former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, the nutty followers of the anti-Zionist Jewish sect Neturei Karta, and officials of the neo-Nazi German National party, along with the familiar handful of professional Holocaust deniers. Frederick Töben had delivered a lecture entitled "The Holocaust--A Murder Weapon." Frenchman Robert Faurisson had called the Holocaust a "fairy tale," while his American colleague Veronica Clark had explained that "the Jews made money in Auschwitz." A professor named McNally had declared that to regard the Holocaust as a fact is as ludicrous as believing in "magicians and witches." Finally, the Belgian Leonardo Clerici had offered the following explanation in his capacity as a Muslim: "I believe that the value of metaphysics is greater than the value of history.""

This is serious stuff..
Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke?
officials of the neo-Nazi German National party?

Plus, I didn't even read the whole article. It looks like there may be more going on here that's pretty scary. Sad Even so, I want to stay the hell out of there. I just think we should keep an eye on them. (But, not the CIA.)

You'll definitely need to slap me upside the head, at times, too. And,
lol, the squeaky or too deep voice..I can just see it.

peace, Margie Smile

Earthhope Action Network

Daniel Shays

me
10-14-2007 09:10 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: